Conference Funding

Buffalo State graduate students can apply for funding to present academic papers, travel to conferences for particular purposes, or conduct research. 

Students must document their participation and request funding through their department chair and academic dean. As funding for the full amount needed for travel may not be available, students should be prepared to fund part of their trip themselves.  The Graduate School does not have monies to support student funding requests but encourages students to seek funding assistance through the Graduate Student Association.  Information can be found on their website.  The GSA requires that requests involving travel must be made at least six weeks prior to the trip.


How to Apply for Funding through Your Academic Department and Dean

Students need to submit the items below as a packet to their department chair. The packet then gets forwarded to the academic dean.  Students may also apply for additional funding support through the Graduate Student Association.


  • Documentation of the event in which the student will participate.
  • A brief description of the ways in which the request relates to the student’s course of study and/or the student’s intellectual and professional development.
  • A short report of the student’s progress in his/her graduate program (along with current GPA) and a statement about career goals.
  • A statement of support from the graduate faculty member closest to the project.
  • Routing Sheet for Graduate School Funding Requests


Button for Back to Top


Monday – Friday, 8:15 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

The Graduate School

Buffalo State •  1300 Elmwood Ave  •  Cleveland Hall 204
Buffalo, NY 14222  •  Phone: (716) 878-5601 •  Fax: (716) 878-5630
Connect with Us